Monday, October 19, 2009

The Festival of Lights!





Deepavali came and went, but for the day at least, it made us look deep within ourselves and seek the pure light within. Maybe our ancestors set aside these special days to remind us to slow down and reflect on our ways and think beyond the material lives we lead...

And doing something we enjoy and love is, they say, like meditation - what a great reason to craft! I made these boxes to hold some home made sweets for friends. It is one of Dawn's many projects. I used to make something similar with old greeting cards, but I did not have any particular measurements as such. Of course I changed the look of my boxes to suit the Deepavali theme. I stamped the lids (with Indian-ey looking patterns) and chose festive colours for the boxes themselves - deep green and fuchsia (known as 'mithai pink' in Indian slang - mithai meaning candy floss and the candy floss we get in India is a much deeper shade of pink!)


I had fun making these boxes and I also had fun making the sweets - you can see them in my cozy little kitchen :)


These boxes are so versatile! You could easily make them for any occassion to hold anything and they're so simple to make. The fact that you can make them smaller, bigger, deeper, flatter - a huge thumbs up! And the options to decorate?? A short trip to crafters' paradise :)



2 comments:

Juhi said...

love these boxes....u should post a tutorial about how to make these.....

Divya Rao said...

Yeah, aren't they cute Juhi? I found the video on You Tube...the link is in my post. It's one of Dawn's projects, she's awesome!